Get the Scoop on Our Favorite Ice Cream Shops in SA
July is National Ice Cream Month! To celebrate, I’m providing you with a list of my personal favorite ice cream shops in town that you NEED to go to before the month ends.
But before you scroll down, here are some interesting facts you should know about ice cream:
- It was first introduced in the mid-18th century
- We consume more ice cream—approximately 1.58 billion gallons—than any other country
- Sunday, July 16, is National Ice Cream Day
- The ice cream cone was invented at the 1904 World Fair in St. Louis.
- It takes 5.8 pounds of whole milk and one pound of cream to make one gallon of ice cream.
- It takes about 50 licks to finish a single scoop
- America’s Favorite ice cream flavors are as follows:
- Cookies N’ Cream
- Mint Chocolate Chip
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- “Vanilla has long been the best-selling ice cream flavor not only because it is creamy and delicious, but also because of its ability to enhance so many other desserts and treats,” said Frye. “It tastes great topped by whipped cream and fudge sauce in a sundae, with root beer in a float or atop a warm slice of apple pie.”
So where should you freeze your brain for the rest of National Ice Cream Month?
Let’s just get right to it:
- South Alamode Panini and Gelato: Our Gelato and Panini are made from fresh ingredients every day. While we import every ingredient we can directly from Italy, everything else is sourced locally. After living for years in Italy and studying as a Gelato apprentice, we came to the America and set up shop at a local farmer's market, quickly outgrew that, and are proud to be in South Town.
- The House, Boozy Ice Cream and Brews: With both ‘Infused’ and ‘Friendly’ options, The House offers a wide variety of ice cream concoctions that are ever changing and will give you all the feels. They were even featured on The Food Network, “As the name implies, this spot focuses on two things: alcohol-infused ice cream and beer. Ten homemade flavors are available every day, with options that may include French Toast (which combines cereal-milk ice cream with Fireball Whiskey) or a frozen, creamy take on the White Russian. Choose wisely, because once a flavor is gone, it doesn’t come back until customers start begging for more.”
- Steel City Pops: Steel City Pops are made in small batches from the freshest all-natural or certified organic ingredients, locally-harvested where possible. We only sweeten our pops with raw, organic cane sugar and never use artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. Our menu features vegan-friendly fruity choices, and all of our pops are gluten-free and vegetarian. We are always creating new seasonal flavors and ideas, so check back often!
- Lick: Our Cilantro Lime, Dewberry Corn Cobbler and Sweet Persimmon and Sage ice creams are just some of the flavors inspired by and created with seasonal offerings from Texas. This provides us with variety throughout the year and guarantees a farm-to-table product that is always fresh and delicious! We work directly with local farmers and food artisans to source our fine ingredients to make the most honest ice creams we can.
- Snopioca: SNOPIOCA is the first of its kind in San Antonio, Texas. We serve shaved snow with the highest quality ingredients and fresh fruits. Customers will be able to customize their shaved snow toppings on a fine and fluffy snow ice that will melt in your mouth. Prepare yourself for a new dessert experience that will leave you craving for more!
- Honeysuckle Teatime: at honeysuckle, we pride ourselves in using tea as an ingredient in all of our products. we offer things like lavender shortbread, rose wedding cookies, orange blossom donuts, chocolate chai cupcakes, earl grey brownies and create beautiful tea-infused custom cakes. in tandem with the tea party theme, we offer our own special blends of iced teas, hot teas, tea lattes, kombucha and what we call "marteanis," which are tea-infused cocktails.
So now that you know where to go, it’s time to decide which flavor you’re going to get!
Take a look below and find out what your favorite ice cream flavor says about you?
- If you are into vanilla ice cream, you clearly have a kind side. While you may not be adventurous in your flavor palate, you are an extremely loyal individual. You’re probably your friends’ most reliable ally, and absolutely everyone can count on you. As a vanilla lover, you enjoy the simple pleasures in life and do not need anything but the little things to make you happy.
- As a lover of chocolate you are a sultry person. You are into the richer things in life, and you aren’t afraid to treat yourself every now and again. Chocolate lovers are extremely passionate people, and they love to live in the moment!
- When strawberry is your favorite flavor there is no denying how sweet you are. You are a naturally kind person who constantly exudes positive energy. You notice all of the small beauties in the world and never take anything for granted.
- Mint Chocolate Chip
- Mint chocolate chip fans are always the coolest people in the room. They believe that freshness is the key to life, whether it is the newest threads or delicious ingredients. You aren’t afraid of much and you clearly have a sweet side that only a few lucky people are allowed to see.
- Butter Pecan
- You live a life of passion, but do so quietly in your own way. As a lover of butter pecan ice cream, we can see that you have an appreciation for tradition, but don’t shy away from a little decadence. You’re likely to be a bit of a hermit, not so much anti-social way, but more in as in you enjoy your alone time to be creative.
- Rocky Road
- You’re likely a little bit of a complex person if you are a fan of rocky road ice cream. You are always seeking something exciting and new, and you rarely settle for less than anything you want. Everyone knows about (and loves) your adventurous spirit and knows that when you set a goal, you achieve it!
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- You are an extremely nurturing person as is obvious by your love of this ice cream flavor. You believe in wholesome well rounded values and never hesitate to lend a helping hand
- There is no denying that you are one tenacious person if your favorite ice cream flavor is coffee. You are a go-getter and aren’t afraid to take risks in order to get what you want. You are also extremely practical and don’t often have time for silly people or things. This doesn’t mean you aren’t playful, because in fact you truly are, as you seem to see the sweet side of everything.
- Let’s just say that as a fan of Neapolitan, you aren’t exactly a decisive person. You’d rather sample a little bit of everything life has to offer than stay committed to one thing. Your relationships are vibrant and full, even if they are short lived. The friends that are around you are all people you keep in your life to challenge yourself and keep things interesting.
So there you have it! A guide of San Antonio’s best ice cream with facts to back it up!